Elder Zachary Snow

Elder Zachary Snow

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Lofty Goals - August 17, 2010

Hey Fam!

I'll start out by answering some of the questions:
 1.) Have you had any general authorities come to speak yet?  
Yeah we had Elder Evans of the Seventy (can't remember first name) come speak to us last Tuesday night (after I e-mailed you so it's been about a week) and that was absolutely awesome. I could just tell that he was a prophet, seer, and revelator of the Lord. He talked about the importance of using the BOM in teaching the gospel. The big part of his talk was about how the BOM needs to be studied closely and in depth. He went slowly through the first couple of chapters, giving great insights that I have never noticed. And this can be achieved by going slowly and really feasting on the words of Christ. Since then, I have been reading very carefully about a chapter a day from the beginning. I get so much out of it when I really pay attention! I also received the strongest feeling that Joseph Smith was a true prophet and he has to be because of the truthfulness of the BOM. By their fruits ye shall know them!

2.) Does that mean that there are other missionaries going to Paraguay that are in other districts? 
Yeah, so my district is organized by intermediate speaking missionaries. There are 4 going to Argentina, 2 going to Carlsbad, 2 to Fresno, 2 to Salt Lake, and one to Houston. I have run into several other missionaries that are going to Paraguay and reported on the same day as I, but are in the beginner class. So they might be on the same flight down there with me and everything, not sure. But no, they aren't in my branch.

On Wednesday, it was awesome to see Mike. He gave this great lesson on the Plan of Salvation and everyone in my district told me after that they really enjoyed it. I know I did. It was very cool to see a different side of Mike; the side that really loves Christ and loves missionary work. Plus it was nice to see a familiar face. I've also run into Drew Geddes a couple of times and that is always sweet. He is such a neat guy.

I know that the Lord protects his missionaries. When I was reading closely in the BOM on Thursday, I came across a scripture that was talking about how the Lord protected Lehi and his family. I know that when we do the right thing he will protect us.

Let's see... on Friday our District set some pretty lofty goals. This week we are going to teach the 1st discussion in Spanish twice each day, contact 5 people for 5 minutes, read a chapter in the BOM out loud in Spanish, and memorize a scripture each week. So far my companion and I have completed it each day. That means we have taught the full first lesson in Spanish 8 times already! I can see so much improvement in him, myself, and our teaching of the lesson. I know that when we work hard towards our goals, we will be able to reach them and we will be able to improve. The quality of our lessons is getting so much greater and I love it when we get into the restoration part each time. The spirit is always so strong there when we are talking about Joseph Smith and reciting the first vision (which I have perfectly memorized). What's up!

On Saturday we watched this video of a talk Elder Bednar gave on becoming a missionary.  It was so awesome and I was able to gain some very good insights from it. One thing I realized is how important it is to go out and preach the gospel because of what we have been given. God gave us so much and we have been chosen specifically to preach this gospel. I also feel compelled to share it with everyone!

Sunday the Branch Presiden't wife gave this killer talk. One thing stuck with me: Prayer is never stupid. If something is important to us, it is important to our Father in Heaven!

I am also very grateful for my companion. I am grateful that I have a righteous companion because it makes it so much easier for me to do the things that I need to do without worrying about him. Plus he pushes me to do what is right and keep setting higher and higher goals. He is great!

Obedience is starting to become a goal and desire for us rather than a chore. I love having the Spirit as a constant companion becuase I receive so much more help and answers to questions that I have. The work is hard and the commandments a little difficult, but it pays off when we are totally obedient.

Sunday night, we watched Legacy, and it was way funnier than I remember. I laughed at everything. that is probably because I am so humor starved haha. After being so serious all the time, at the first sign of something slightly funny, I crack up. Me enjoying Legacy should be evidence of this. haha

Also on Sundy we had this sweet fireside about music and hymns where the composer of a couple hymns came and explained some of the music and how it dealt with the lyrics of the hymn. We sang Come Thou Fount at the beginning. Love that hymn! And the spirit was so strong during it.

Wells, I got to go.  Until next week

No comments:

Post a Comment